Friday, September 6, 2013

Tips When It Comes To College

I am on my fourth year at my University and since I started this blog, I thought I would share some tips to college students out there in the world or people who will start college the next fall:

1. Make sure you get plenty of sleep- On average the human body needs eight hours of sleep. I know some people are night owls-so am I- but functioning of 2-4 hours of sleep will make you feel dreary. When I started college as a freshman, I'd function of 3-5 hours of sleep and I felt like crap everyday.

2. Make sure to eat at the proper times- When you wake up and establish your energy eat something or take something on the go. It can be an apple, banana, granola bar, etc. But make sure you don't over eat on your meals because they have what they call as the 'Freshman 15.'

3. Stay Hydrated- Make sure you keep a water bottle, juice, pop on you when your outside or inside. I remember my first week of my current year and this one girl fainted, it was 96 degrees F and she had to be taken to the hospital. So stay hydrated.

4. Studying/Homework- I know not everyone likes doing homework but it is necessary. But good news for you, in college you get more periods of time where you get to study and do homework so there is no excuse for late work. There are many relaxing places from dorm rooms, the college library, outside, etc. But if you feel like you're struggling on your subject, check to see if there is a tutor center or tutors around campus and they will be happy to help you. Trust me, I've used the tutoring center at my university for papers.

5. Places to have fun- Normally on campus or around campus there are plenty of activities that offers entertainment for you. Don't just sit inside your room at game and watch TV, go out and have some fun.

6. Get involved with Community Council/Campus clubs/Greek- Getting involved with Community Council and Campus clubs is fun and can serve interests and can look great on resumes. I've been involved with Community Council my second year by being floor president and currently in my fourth year I'm RHA for my floor and I plan on going for floor senator to help represent the campus. I've also been involved in fencing my second year. If you feel it might seem a lot to do, it's not, it easy and simple. I haven't been involved with Greek life, but I work for the University and  help out with different departments including Greek Life.

7. Be Responsible/Safe- College life can be fun but don't over do it by drinking. If your going to drink and get caught by your floor CA (Community Advisor) the you can get kicked out of your residence and still have to pay for housing even if you're not living there anymore. I can't approve of underage drinking but if you do it please be safe and don't do anything stupid, I've seen many people go down. Also the campus provides safety for you, but there might be times where there can be trouble. Always be sure to have a friend with you, if you're alone, stay in lit areas and carry some pepper spray.

I hope all of my tips have helped you be aware of what college has to offer and knowledge of responsibilities to your health and safety. As I've mention in my first blog, I'd like to hear from the readers what they are interested in reading about from me in the future? Don't be afraid to comment. ^^ Please subscribe. Always stay true to yourself and do what you love.

-Relatable4You

No comments:

Post a Comment